More than 600,000 people in the Kyiv region of Ukraine were without power on Saturday morning after an overnight Russian attack.

Ukraine's energy ministry said more than 500,000 of these were in the capital itself, with the rest in the surrounding region. It attributed the power losses to missile and drone strikes on energy infrastructure in the city and several other regions.

Around 36 missiles and nearly 600 drones were launched on targets across Ukraine overnight, officials said, killing three and injuring dozens of others.

Russia has intensified attacks on Ukrainian civilian and energy infrastructure as the embattled nation heads into winter, despite US-led efforts to secure a peace deal.

Russia's defence ministry said it had launched a massive strike... against Ukrainian military-industrial complex enterprises and the energy facilities that support their operation.

Dtek Energy, which serves properties in Kyiv, said later on Saturday that power had been restored to more than 360,000 families.

As well as energy infrastructure, several residential buildings were hit in the overnight strikes, Ukrainian officials said.

Loud explosions were heard across Kyiv early on Saturday morning. Emergency services were later seen attending to burning blocks of flats damaged by strikes.

Kyiv's Mayor Vitaly Klitschko said a 13-year-old child was among the 29 people injured in the capital city.

Ukraine's Air Force reported it shot down 558 of the drones and 19 of the missiles.

Kyiv is among several cities that have been subjected to regular aerial bombardment since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Many Ukrainians have been forced to endure frequent blackouts, as Moscow has targeted energy infrastructure in past winters.

With temperatures expected to drop to 2C in Kyiv, the situation is becoming increasingly dire.

Ukraine has also targeted Russian energy infrastructure, including oil refineries and depots, with long-range weaponry to disrupt Moscow's funding for the war.

Additionally, Ukraine's security service reported that it struck two oil tankers in the Black Sea believed to be part of Russia's 'shadow fleet' evading international sanctions, showcasing active retaliation efforts.

The latest bombardment coincided with preparations for Ukrainian negotiators to meet with U.S. officials regarding a potential peace plan, underscoring the ongoing complexities amidst escalating violence.