Senegal's prime minister and Nigeria's former president have both said they do not believe the ousting of Guinea-Bissau's president by the country's military was a genuine coup.

Former President Umaro Sissoco Embaló's apparent removal came a day before authorities were due to announce election results.

The military has since suspended the electoral process and blocked the results' release, and has insisted it thwarted a plot to destabilise the politically unstable country.

Senegal's PM Ousmane Sonko and Nigeria's ex-leader Goodluck Jonathan demanded the presidential election results be released, but did not provide evidence to support their claims the coup was fabricated.

The ex-president arrived in neighbouring Senegal on a chartered military flight late on Thursday, following his release by the military forces who toppled his government.

Nigeria's former leader Jonathan, who led a team of election observers from the West African Elders Forum to Guinea-Bissau, said the incident was not a coup.

He described it as a ceremonial coup, questioning the events that preceded Wednesday's announcement of a power grab by the military.

Meanwhile, Senegal's Sonko told lawmakers that what happened in Guinea-Bissau was a sham. The statements of both men add to claims by the opposition that the coup was staged, although none has so far presented evidence to support this.

On Friday, Guinea-Bissau's transitional leader Gen Horta N'Tam appointed Ilidio Vieira Té, previously the finance minister, as the new prime minister.

Additionally, the African Union suspended Guinea-Bissau on Friday following the unconstitutional military takeover, while the West African bloc Ecowas urged the military to return to the barracks.

Guinea-Bissau is a coup-prone West African nation strained by drug trafficking. The military stated their intention to thwart a plot by unnamed politicians backed by a drug baron. As citizens react to this turmoil, the outlook for the nation remains uncertain.