At least 128 people have died in a devastating fire that engulfed multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong.


A further 79 people have been injured in the city's deadliest blaze in more than 70 years, which occurred in the northerly suburb of Tai Po, while dozens remain missing.


The tower blocks had been undergoing renovations when the fire began. The cause of the blaze remains unclear but officials said on Friday that Styrofoam placed on the outside of the windows facilitated its rapid spread.


Three people overseeing the renovations are under arrest for manslaughter, and authorities have launched a corruption inquiry.


Bringing the fire - which spread across seven of Wang Fuk Court's eight apartment blocks - under control involved more than 2,311 firefighters. Firefighting efforts have now ceased. The fire was fully extinguished by 10:18 local time (02:18 GMT) on Friday, the fire department said in a news conference.


It also said 89 bodies have yet to be identified, and 16 bodies remain inside the buildings.


Authorities said police will begin entering the Wang Fuk Court buildings on Friday to start gathering evidence, and that an investigation will take place over the next three to four weeks.


The blaze started at 14:51 local time (06:51 GMT) on Wednesday, and by 18:22 local time it had been upgraded to the most serious category by fire officials.


The fire department said the fire started at a lower level before moving upwards, reaching a peak temperature of 500C (932F).


Two Indonesian nationals who had been working on the buildings were also killed in the fire, a migrant charity said. Indonesian and Filipino workers are among those still unaccounted for.


Shock has quickly shifted to anger in Hong Kong, as questions grow on who should be held accountable for the blaze, especially given reports that some fire alarms were non-functional during the incident.


As investigations proceed, many in the community are left grappling with the aftermath of this catastrophic event.